Did Roger Chillingworth actually use black magic? I know in chapter 14 he was gathering herbs, and there was some self punishment involved, but was that all that caused what happened in chapter 23 & 24? also, did anyone besides Hester know that the physician studied and claimed to use magic? it seams to me that if you could and did use evil magic, you would have committed a worse sin than simply having a baby with someone you are not married to. I'm not puritan so I wouldn't know.
Ok, so I was just wondering back then wouldnt they have usually branded the letter into your skin when you did something like that. I just thought it was weird that all they made Hester do was wear the Scarlet Letter on her clothes.
Im only a couple of chapters into the book, but I was wondering if there was a specific person narrating the story? I wasn't for sure and in To Kill A Mockingbird it was Scout.
The narrator isn't a specific person in the story itself. I read part of The Custom House in the beginning though, and I guess the narrator is Puritan and he supposedly "found" accounts of Hester Prynne's crime in an attic or something. The story is all fictional, though.
I'm only a few chapters into the book, but Hester is already about to be executed. Does that mean the rest of the book is just going to be like one big flashback? Because that would be odd for her to die so soon...there wouldn't be much of a story.
Nope, this story takes place in real time, no flashbacks at all. Even though Hester is standing on a scaffold where there happens to be a guillotine, she isn't going to be executed. As part of her punishment, she's standing there for 3 hours in public view.
Poor Reverend Dimmsdale... He really starts going crazy in Chapter 11... :( Do you think that if he did reveal his sin to the public, he'd be able to reverse the internal damage he has already done to himself? Personally, I think that its unlikely that his weird condition will ever go away.
I just started the book and I'm not that far into but I feel that the first chapter is unnecessary to include in the book. It reminds me of "To Kill A Mocking Bird". I didn't really need to read the first chapter. Maybe the more I read, I'll change my mind because right now I don't understand whats going on. :):) -----Caitee Aaron
When I read the first chapter I thought of "To Kill A Mocking Bird", and yes it is hard to understand but the more you read the easier it is to understand!
Yeah, it's much easier to read when you get to about chapter 6, the one all about Pearl. She is one crazy child to, i wonder if she really is an elf or something else like that.
I'm only on chapter 5, but I'm gonna go ahead and make a prediction thats probably wayyyy off. I bet Reverand Dimmsdale is the father of Hester's baby! That would be crazy, but its possible. On the back of the book it says that the people effected the most are Hester, her husband [Chillingsworth or somthing like that? Don't have the book with me.] and the Reverand...that means he has more to do with it than just being the town's minister, right? That would make the story a whole lot more interesting...What a scandal! :)
Yeah, Pearl is a crazy child but I dont know how they could take her away from Hester. No one will talk to Hester, so Pearl is the only one she really has.
Based on the setting I can already see the darkeness leading into this story. It's an old town with a prison. Seems pretty creepy. I'm glad I didn't have to live during this time. -Jess :P
I think the first time you start to read this book it's kind've like the first time you read Shakespeare. At first you don't really understand everything you're reading, but after a couple of chapters you get used to the language and it becomes much more enjoyable to read.
I just finished the first chapter of the Scarlet Letter. To me, just from the setting, it shows that even in the darkest places, there can be light. Maybe that stuck with me the most because I'm an optimist, but i like where this is going. it is definitely a little hard to understand, but i suggest reading it outloud to yourself. it helps :]
ok, so i just finished the beginning of the scarlet letter and i can see this place thats right out of a horror movie and it seems always dreary and dark and foggy, and as i was reading i felt as if i was someone going into this prison and who sees these beautiful roses before walking into darkness for the rest of that persons life, i was surprised that i was feeling such sadness this early in the story and i hope that the rest of the book is just as interesting
Zachary Martin, She was forced to wear the scarlet letter because she committed adultery and they wanted people to see the crime she committed and her to be punished for it, that was also why she was on the scaffold.
i'm at the part where the meteor shower creates a scarlet letter a in the sky to signify mr. dimmsdale's sin. i'm wonndering if this would ever actually happen?
I've actually found reading the book out loud to be helpful too, Hannah! xD I believe its because it helps you work through all the old English phrases. Its crazy how different they spoke back then. O_O
I agree Loni. The second I read that first chapter, I had serious vibes of hopelessness and dread. Believe me, its a truly gripping tale of human strength, you will REALLY enjoy it. :)
Jordan- Once you get farther in the story, you'll see how this child is a sin for even existing. Hester had an affair. NOT a smart move for it being Puritan times and all.
Just started the book and it sounds realy interesting. Im a little confused but im sure ill catch on. The old English diolect i think is whats the most confusing but reading out loud seems to help a little as stated by a few people.
On the literary terms worksheet, under the 'Relevance to Novel' column, are we supposed to write like who the protagonist is and what the theme or tone is and stuff??
If anyone has finished the Scarlet Letter character worksheet please let me know who you put down because im coming up one short. So far i have *Hester *Pearl *Mr. Dimmesdale *Roger Chillingworth *Governor Bellingham *Mistress Hibbins *Reverend John Wilson
Someone mentioned a guillotine; there was no guillotine on the scaffold, but it did refer to the French revolution and the beheading there. However there was a wooden frame used to hold the convicted person's head in place so that the crowd might see their face. Why I typed so much on this subject is beyond me, as Hester did not need to use it as part of her punishment.
Another thing, what do you think would have happened if they had gotten on the ship? Could they have shaken Chillingworth off their trail after the ship landed? Would Pearl get used to Dimmesdale? She wasn't to happy with him for denying them in public.
question about the end! (spoiler warning for anyone who hasn't finished yet. =D)
how exactly did mr. dimmesdale die? did he kill himself or did whatever roger chillingworth was doing to him finally catch up to him? and if the latter, how exactly did he know he was going to die right at that moment?
also, where were they going at the end? i think it was hester who mentioned to pearl that they were going somewhere where their family (meaning herself, Pearl and Mr. Dimmesdale) could be free and no one would know about the scarlet letter. that's how i interpreted it, at least. if this had actually happened and mr. dimmesdale had survived, what do you think would happen in the novel? how do you think the ending would change? do you think hester would marry mr. dimmesdale and he would take a more active role in pearl's life? do you think pearl would be able to act normally in a new situation when she was so used to be excluded and seeing her mother wear the a?
I think that even if Dimmesdale had lived long enough to escape the town and Chillingworth he still would have tortured himself externally and internally. after all, he was a puritan reverend, and took his shame to the extreme. Crystal, I don't think that Dimmesdale actually knew he was going to die at that moment. If he did it was most likely that he just felt himself getting weaker and weaker and chose that moment to die, after he had confessed. Chillingsworth probably did not out right kill him, as he tried to stop him. Dimmesdale's death likely was caused by a build up of what he did to himself and what Chillingworth did to him.
Bananagirl (I don't know your name) asked about branding the letter. For one thing, she would have had to cover it up with her clothing. where could they have marked her that she couldn't hide it? Puritans were appalled at the idea of showing too much skin; therefore the normal spot is out of the question. Hands? she couldn't ware gloves then. Forehead? no hat. With an embroidered letter she had to pin on her clothes, there was no excuse for hiding it, such as getting cold.
Thanks for helping make some stuff clearer Ocean. :) I had questions regarding those topics, too! xD
For anyone who's read Breaking Dawn, doesn't Renesmee remind you a lot of Pearl? They're both incredibly observant, smart, and they have a noticeable wild side. The Scarlet Letter probably influenced lots of other novels written after it. I wonder if my observation is merely coincidence or if Stephenie Meyer did base Renesmee after Pearl... :/
It's highly possible, The Scarlet Letter is a classic and a lot of authors must have read it. You cant write without knowing how to read after all. I wonder what or who inspired Hawthorne for Pearl; she has a lot of personality.
I just thought of something; the gossip at the beginning of the book said that Hester's husband never came to (Boston??) and everyone believed him to be dead. If that were true (and we know it wasn't) than Hester would have been a widow; and incapable of committing adultery.
that is true, ocean. but, she did become pregnant out of wedlock, which, in that community and at that time, was severly looked down upon. they also said mr. dimmesdale commited adultry when he wasn't married, so maybe they just fit it all into one catagory.
I guess so... have you looked up the definition of adultery? In some places it is when one or both people are married, but not to each other. If Hester were a widow and the reverend single than it would have only been wedlock. Would the story have been all that different if she wore a W?
Weeeell, I don't know about you, but I don't think that a scarlet letter "W" would be as threatening. xD
In regards to the whole "wedlock" thing, I think that since the death of Hester's husband was never confirmed or denied, they still considered it adultery.
I know Pearl is suppose to be someone else's kid, but she seems like she must be related to Chillingworth. They have the same sadistic nature...That would be an interesting twist..
I got the idea that Hester had been there a while without her husband. If she had just arrived in Boston they might have believed that she had gotten herself pregnant with Chillingworth, and left her alone. How did you make that connection?
okay, i'm only on chapter 4 (right after reverand dimmesdale murmurs his relief that Hester didn't say who the father was) and i have a couple of predictions. the one that seems most likely is that tortured reverand dimmesdale is Hester's baby's father, and that the familiar stranger is Hester's husband (obsessed and vengeful chillingworth?) i could be way off the mark, but from where i'm at it seems possible.
On the character sheet, the only thing I can come up with for Bellingham and Wilson (the one word description) is "pompous". Does that sound OK? Can I use the same word for both?
I never really thought about it that way, Kim, but you're absolutely right about Pearl being like Chillingworth! She doesn't have a lot in common with her actual father...
Bellingham is VERY pompous, however, the same really can't be said for Reverend Wilson. I'm actually debating between "Grandfatherly" and "Traditionalist" for describing Reverend Wilson.
I read the Custom House chapter, but it didn't really help with my understanding of Hester Prynne's story. It just gives you a bit of background as to how the author decided to write the story.
Allusion is when the story refers to something real, say the characters went to Kroger and bought Tide laundry soap and talked about Bush. Those are all real life things. Hester doesn't even know what Kroger is, but there are a lot of allusions in The Scarlet Letter.
Actually, an allusion is a reference to another novel. For example, the Bible is mentioned a LOT throughout the story. Symbolism is when an object represents an idea (the scarlet letter, the rose bush at the beginning...)
I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying much attention when I was reading, but do they ever describe the appearance of Wilson and Bellingham? If so, where? Because I can't find it. :(
Elyse, are you sure? I still think an allusion is anything outside the story, but other stories can be included. Don't trust me though. Where is the symbolism in the rose bush? Kim, they give a few details in chapter 8, when Hester is asking to keep Pearl.
For the essay, are we writing a 5 paragraph similar to the R&J we did last year? The sample looked like a different format.
Ocean and Elyse you are both correct. An allusion is a reference to something outside of the work. It is most commonly a reference to another book or story, but it can also reference something political or related to pop culture.
i still have no idea for the last character so if anyone comes up with it please let me know. also what prompts are you guys doing, i still need to decide!
For the last character I just put towns people; you cant put anything down for appearance but they all act in a similar fashion towards Hester, Pearl, Dimmesdale, and Chillingworth. Thank you Mrs. Werner.
Prompt #4 made the most sense to me. #'s 1&2 I can't picture myself writing a whole essay on, and I had trouble understanding #3. It seams to me that most of the story is about Chillingworth harassing Dimmesdale, so I will base my essay on that.
Bellingham and Wilson are both described really well in chapter 3 and 8, Kim.
The rose bush symbolizes human nature and legacy and how they both continue on, I believe... Not 100% sure though.
Thanks for your help, Mrs. Werner! I'm having a bit of trouble with the characterization part of the organization table. I'm leaning toward putting that the characters where most revealed trough direct characterization, but... :/
You could perhaps put the narrator as a character, Katelin.
I'm doing prompt number three. I gather that you have to discuss Dimmsdale's "double life" and how he deals with his guilt. If you Google search the quote that the prompt is based of, it explains how the quote was relevant to The Awakening. Once you read its relevance, you'll get a better idea of its meaning in The Scarlet Letter.
I'm definitely new to the entire symbolism concept, and I was wondering if the scarlet "A" symbolizes disgrace. Since Hester is forced to wear it as a constant reminder of the sin she committed, I thought the letter would have to be a negative symbol. She's supposed to be ashamed of what she's done, and the letter guarantees public humiliation. Hester is an outcast because of it. So I think it represents shame and disgrace...
Does the fact that it's scarlet mean anything? I was thinking it might represent love and lust, both of which are components of her sin, but I'm not sure if I'm going overboard with all the symbolism. I don't believe that it's only red so that it stands out.
I think the scarlet letter A would just be for Hester's adultery, Danielle. Since the town leaders decided to keep her around as an example (and not execute her), they invented the scarlet letter concept to publicly humiliate her.
Yup, you have the symbolism concept right, Erica. :)
I just got the book scarlet letter and finished it about three days after getting it. I felt that the punishment wouldnt really work in the present date. I just dont think that that would be a good enough punishment.
I think i'm gonna use the town people, thanks Ocean. I think for appearance i can put puritan clothing so it's all good!
I think having this kind of punishment would work to an extent. A little while ago a boy was caught stealing, so his mom made him stand on a street corner with a board saying he was a thief. If i had to do something like that i would be pretty embarrassed.
Wow, it's weird how much times have changed comparing this book to modern day. Adultry was a crime back in those times and was taken very seriously. Now it happens all the time and most people don't even see it as much of a sin.
I am not that far into the book, but wow Jess you are right. Things like what Hester did happen all the time now a days, most people overlook it like nothing.
Alex, just choose what you can write the most on. This isn't a scantron, its personal opinion. In some places adultery still is a crime, mostly only illegal for women. What culture you are in determines how serious the punishment is. I can't imagine the letter being that effective here and now. you could discard it as soon as you got home, and the authorities would have no way of being sure that you still had it on. and of course there are a few people incapable of feeling shame. Ever notice those classmates that just don't care that they have a E because they never turned in a single homework assignment and make no move to avoid summer school until it's to late?
I heard about that boy too, Katelin. I think that while it may have taught him a good lesson, standing on the street and announcing you're a thief is not quite right for today's crime and punishment. :/ Like Ocean was saying, some people just don't feel any shame.
In the first chapter, it describes the prison where Hester is. The next two chapters talk more about Hester's crime, the scarlet letter, her child, the town leaders, and her husband. The beginning is a little hard to understand, but it'll get better, Corey. :)
I was just thinking. Wearing the Scarlet Letter was suppossed to be a punishment, but Hester made the letter into something elaborate and you could go as far to call it beautiful. Doesn't it seem a little flashy to be a punishment?
Also, it seems that with or without the letter, Hester would have been treated the same way. It seems that in the end the symbolic letter isn't as effective as a punishment as the public humiliation and the sort of exile from society, as well as living day to day with Pearl, who is the greatest and most permanent reminder of her sin. I think as far as plot wise...the letter is only used as a symbolic object to draw the reader in as oppossed to something that directly effects story movement. Then again, I'm not THAT far into the book, so it will be interesting to see if this changes.
I also doubt the punishment would be effective nowadays because to be honest, adultery is so common nowadays, that it isn't as scandalous as it was back in those Puritan communities. Also, before you knew it Letter A's would become the next strange fashion statement because so many people would be forced to wear them if let's say it became some common punishment under law or something. The punishment would most likely lose its meaning fast.
Rachel, I agree with what you said about if the letter were today's punishment. Letters would only get a few glances once in a while and not the glares that Hester had. Like boys that dress like girls and girls that dress like boys. Most people don't even notice, or they think they are who they dress as, or they don't care.
Hannah, I don't think that Chillingworth knew in the beginning that Dimmesdale was the father, he was just planning what to do when he met the man. Somehow he figured out who before chapter 9. He does say in chapter 8 "Would it be beyond a philosophers research, think ye, gentlemen, to analyze that child's nature, and, from its make and mould, to give a shrewd guess at the father?" Wilson tells him that it would be sinful and a waste of time, that God will tell them if He wishes them to know. If thats really how he found out or not I don't know, but we all know that Chillingworth is not agents sinning as long as he is not the one wronged. Alex, if you read our comments above, many of us have chosen to write town people or narrator as the 8th person.
After reading a few chapters of this book it shows me how times have changed. Yes, cheating is stilled frowned upon but not as it was back then. Looking at Hester, you are immediately aware that she was not faithful to her husband. But now if you walk by someone you can't tell if they are a faithful person or not. I just think it's odd how drastically society has changed.
None of the characters are telling the story, Katherine, just Hawthorne. Yes, I have to agree, lots of things have changed for the better. But think of the crime rate. Back then they got riled over adultery. Today someone could kill 20 people without blinking. Nobody worried about parking lots at night and they were more afraid of meeting Chief Pontiac than being run over by the metal kind.
What do you think of Mistress Hibbins? She doesn't have much of a part in the story, does she? I have to wonder why Hawthorne wrote a crazy lady in when all she does is bother Hester about her letter. She doesn't effect the story any and it seems like a waste of time to add her in. Hah, at this rate we will have a 100 posts before august.
Society has changed a lot since the 17th century... Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to live in a Puritan community. Crimes that we don't really worry about nowadays were death sentences back then. While there probably wasn't a lot of homicidal maniacs to worry about back then, you would be in constant fear of someone making an accusation about you that would lead you to the gallows.
Mistress Hibbins represents the hidden darker side of the Puritan community. While everyone in the town is ratting her out for being a witch, they themselves are hiding their own sins. She is a symbol of the hypocrisy of the townspeople. This is mentioned in the book, but I can't remember where...
About how harsh puritan law was. We have to keep in mind that they used the Bible and not our constitution. There are a lot of things that are immoral and not illegal. Divorce for one (not to rat on my parents). Breaking up after swearing vows together isn't the most holy thing to do, but the government doesn't mind because it prevents murder. Plus people would see it as them steeling our rights, and they would lose favor. The puritans were different; if the Bible said it was bad, you can go hang on a rope.
Im only a few chapters in the Scarlet Letter but I think Hester is a pretty strong and brave lady. She stands up in front of everyone (well i know she doesnt have a choice but stil) wearing the scarlet letter and immediately look at a person who no longer is apart of their socity and thought of as terrible human and also they have no sympathy for her poor little baby who is innocent in the whole situation. Through this she just stay strong and doens't let them get to her, and also how she wont tell the name of the babys father either. this also pointed out for me how differnt it was during the puritans time compared to now. If someone was to be unfaithful now they would just be frowned upon, not force to stand infront of their society with a marking like the scarlet letter all day and be disowned by the whole socity. And also she seems to not be forgiven by anyone either, now people would be disapointed in the unaithful person at first but they would forgive them later because they are just human and humans make mistakes.
Heres for all of the people who were trying to figure out what appearances to put for the townsfolk. 1 They all have very pale skin.(back then people would actually drink vinigar to make them even more pale.) 2. They all wore their best clothes.
Your right Ocean, the Bible was the central form of government back then. It still plays a big part in our modern legal system, though. Think about it, our Pledge of Allegiance, the vow you have to take before you speak in court, our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution all have references to God. While the Bible may not be as prevalent while enforcing laws, it still remains to be a factor in the choices made by our nation's leaders.
Kyle, are you sure they drank vinegar? I've never heard of that... It couldn't have possibly been healthy... :/ You could always put that the towns people had "traditional Puritan clothing".
How exactly is characterization relevant to The Scarlet letter? Its on the Lit. Term chart and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
Kyle, people then thought that being pale was stylish then. I never heard of them drinking vinegar but I have heard of ladies drinking small drops of arsenic to keep them pale. They thought that having a tan meant that you were a worker and not established. So even if they never drank anything to lighten their skin color, they still would have tried to avoid the sun as much as possible. No sunning themselves at the beach or in tanning booths. Still, weren't they all farmers?
Arsenic to be pale?! Woah, talk about the complete opposite of today's society! xD Nowadays being super tan is in!
Sorry Ocean. :_( You could always shoot for 111. :S (off topic, sorry... ^^)
I would start posting on the There Are No Children Here blog, but I'm only one chapter in. O_O I'm going to have to do something about that, and soon! It seems like most people are reading In Cold Blood. I read the first few chapters of In Cold Blood and it wasn't that engaging.That's my opinion, but...
I was only kidding Elyse. I liked In Cold Blood, which is surprising because that is something I normally wouldn't read.
Another thing you could put for town people on the chart; Hester's embroidery. It said in chapter 5 that the only garment that she was not asked to embroider was the veil for a bride. Of course real puritans wouldn't have known Hester, but we are talking about the ones in the story.
Irrelevant post, but aren't we supposed to have 8 comments each. Averaged out we have about 2.5 posts each. And I've had over 20 posts on this page alone.
This book is good so far, but im having a hard time reading it, i think because of the vocab, is anyone else having that problem too? Does anyone have tips or advice?
Yeah the vocabulary is driving me crazy. I think the book is okay, but it seems like they just throw in a lot of big words where they really dont need to.
If Bellingham had given her the normal punishment, Hester would be dead. They were planing that for her lover, but to put it simply, he died before hand. That's why she refused to tell on him. Affairs are still a bad thing, but with a growing number of atheist, using the Bible as a code of law isn't a good idea.
For anyone who is having a hard time figuring out what's happening in the book, I found that reading out loud and writing down key parts in the story helped me to understand it better. I know I got annoyed with the author for his 3 or 4 page monologs that seemed to have nothing to do with the story at all. I usually just skimmed over those parts. The first few chapters are rather dull, but as you read on, the plot and characters become clearer.
Pearl seams kind of cruel to Hester as far as the scarlet letter is concerned. Do you think she realizes how much she hurts her mother when she plays with it? Sometimes she seams innocent and doesn't seam to understand it at all, other times she seams to have a fairly good idea about what is going on.
Hannah, If she did, they would hang him. Hester only got a letter because they wanted a living example of someone who has committed adultery. After her, the penalty returns to capital punishment. Pleasant, isn't it?
Ocean, while Pearl is intelligent beyond her years, I really don't think she understands how much she hurts her mother when she plays with the scarlet letter. She's still a young girl. Its like trying to explain death to a second grader; she can't fully grasp the concept of the it.
Hannah, Pearl does get shunned as well, since she is like a "living" scarlet letter to her mother's crime.
Hannah, Elyse, we can also say that Pearl was shunned just for being who she was. Wild isn't how you might describe a typical puritan child. The towns people treated their children very strictly, where Hester let Pearl play more freely. Therefor, Pearl acted more like a child of today, and that scared the town's people. They thought she was a demon, fairy, a young witch... anything mystical would explain Pearl's nature. The stories also were part of the lesson to the town's people about what happens when you commit adultery; you create wicked children. Silly, but thats probably what they were thinking.
I didn't understand the book until I really took the time to understand the symbolism. The author in this piece tends to lean toward using physical objects to explain spiritual or emotional morals, values, and internal conflicts, some being aside from the main plot. If you're having a hard time understanding it, I would use an aid such as a chapter anaylasis to explain symbolism, however don't replace reading with this, or you'll be in deep trouble.
I know what you mean, Blake. The symbolism tends to explain everything going on. For example, when the scaffold is mentioned, you can assume a character will be revealing or coming to terms with their sins. It seems to me that in place of foreshadowing, Hawthorne uses symbolism to reveal the fates of those involved in the story. Did anyone else notice that?
Ocean, an epitaph is a phrase or statement written in memory of a person who has died, and it can usually be found on a tombstone.
Elyse...to say that a child is a sin for the unfortunate decisions of the mother in my opinion makes it sound like the child is at fault, but i wanna know what you think?
I didn't understand her epitaph is either, Ocean. :S It was odd..
It is certainly a complicated thing, isn't it Jordan? I personally think that in this particular situation, the father, Reverend Dimmesdale, is the one with the most fault. By hiding his affair, he made the lives of Hester and Pearl a heck of a lot harder than if he had just revealed his sins.
I liked how hester named her daughter pearl, I liked that the name had meaning behinded and ment something to hester and that she named her that because she saw a pearl as a great tresure and also saw her daughter as one too. I just thought that was kinda cool.
Zachary-I don't think you need to reread the book before the test. You may want to jot down some notes to review if you have finished reading so that you can look them over before school starts. The test is an objective test-it is purely to show if you read or not. (:
I'm not extremely far into the book, but I'm having trouble really getting into it. Since I can get into it I'm having trouble understanding. Is there something I can do to make it more interesting for myself or does it get more exciting as you read on?
It will get more interesting as you read and you'll probably understand it more as you go on. I think it helps a little to look up the words in the back that have stars next to them. Obviously some of it is just worthless information, but some of it makes the book a whole lot clearer.
i'm on chapter 16 in the book, & maybe this is irrelevant, but does Hester love Dimmesdale? or did she when she had the affair? i would think she does, because she cares about him & his health, but she never really shows it. & is there a reason why they never talk about Pearl being their daughter? or the affair? it seems like it would be something they should talk about... i don't know if this makes much sense, haha. i'm just wondering. :P
i didn't make any posts till today cause i was at sister softball tournament (got entire book down while there so i guess it was worth it.) and i believe she loves dimmesdale, i wont tell you why because later on you'll find out and i don't want to ruin the story for you :P
When Dimmesdale is talking to Hester in the woods about Chillingworth(chap. 18 or 19), he says that he has been in pain the past few years and gets upset with Hester. Was Chillingworth poisoning or doing things to put him in pain?
Yup, you just write down what the characters look like, Hannah. The main characters are described in the second chapter, I believe. Some of the secondary characters, like the governor and Reverend Wilson, are described in chapter 8.
Danielle, while it never actually says Chillingworth poisoned or hurt Dimmesdale, it is implied that Chillingworth used "black magic" on him.
hey i'm only on like chapter 6 of the scarlet letter, but i'm glad i am sticking with it. it picked up almost immediately in chapter 3. 1 and 2 made almost no sense to me, and i think the book would make so much more sense if it wasnt in the old english...
I just started reading this book and the old English literature is kind of confusing, but the more i read the easier it is. After reading chapters 1 and 2, I'm wondering what did Hester do. It will pobably say later on, but what is the rest of the book supposed to be about?
the book is about Hester's life after being 'branded' with the scarlet A which was her punishment for cheating on her husband. the first few chapters are hard to get into but after that it gets way easier to understand so just hang in their :P
I think that Reverend Dimmesdale is going to end up standing on the scaffold with Hester Prynne and Pearl. He knows that he needs to confess his sin. How could he just sit there and watch his child and Hester be put to shame? If he doesn't confess, maybe Pearl will do it for him. She seems so upset about him refusing to stand with them that she might do something crazy.
This book is really hard to comprehend. It's taken me a while to get to the point I am at, but I predict that Hester Prynne and Reverend Dimmesdale wont end up getting away from the city together
Yes, the book is hard to understand at first. It gets better, just keep reading. Please don't post your confusion, everyone else already has. I don't mean to be rude, but if you read some of our comments from earlier than you will learn all you need. The first chapter is a bit worthless, but it describes the prison where Hester is being held for committing adultery. After that she is taken to a scaffold where she stands for three hours as her punishment requires. As she is standing there her husband, who has been gone a long time, arrives in Boston for the first time. Finding his wife disloyal, he changes his name to hide from the shame of being cheated. Roger Chillingworth, as he is now called, swears to Hester that he will destroy her lover. After that it becomes much easier to understand. some of us have found that reading out loud helps. Good luck and I'm sorry that I'm being so mean.
Do we have to make citations in our essay? And make a "works cited" list? Because I have no idea how to do that and would rather not if I don't have to :)
You do not to create a works cited page, but you do need to use parenthetical references in your essay if you use any direct quotes. When you use a quote in your essay you would end the sentence with the author's last name and the page # the quote is from and then place your endmark. Ex. (Werner 14).
I think this is a great feminist novel. Nathaniel Hawthorne made Hester a strong, independent woman (at least in the beginning, I haven't finised the book yet). She was ashamed of what she did, but she didn't retort to rude comments that people threw at her in the street. She was a complete outcast-- even the poor looked down on her-- but she went on living her life. Though she was free to go wherever she wanted and start over, she carried out her punishment on the outskirts of town. She's still a great mother and a very talented seamstress. I like that Hester embroidered her 'A' with gold thread. She doesn't try to hide it, instead she embellishes it and makes it beautiful. Not that I'm an extreme feminist or anything, I just like that Hester is so independent and proud.
I have to agree with you Erica, but do you think that Hawthorn meant to write her that way? It was first published in 1850, and Hawthorn is a male... I can't imagine him setting out to make a feminist novel.
Yes I do believe that Hawthorne set out to write the novel in a way that would portray Hester as a strong female heroine. Many authors try to create something in a very forward-thinking manner, and often are non-conforming to society's hypocrisies of the time. I believe that the blaring symbolism present throughout the novel supports my hypothesis and I think Hawthorne was trying to convey a strong message about society's beliefs of the time period.
So i just finshed this book and i definitely understand it a lot more then i would have thought after reading the first few chapters. I agree with Erica in her opinion that Hawthorne wrote Hester to be a strong, independant woman and i think that is one of the best parts about this novel. even though I comprehended this book, I'm still not very clear on the theme/moral. some help please...? :]
Okay so I am almost done with this book. I need some help clearing up my thoughts though. So Hester cheated on Chillingworth with Arthur? Or is it the other way around?
I finished this book months ago, but I'd have to say it was one of the best books I've read in a while! :D Do any of you feel the same way?
I was confused about something in the MLA example essay. In our essays, are we required to put some attention getting fact at the beginning of our introductory paragraph, or is that more of a example of what could possibly be at the beginning? :/
Okay so I am now starting my essay, but I need a little help. I have picked my prompt and have my ideas down but I'm not sure on what each paragraph is supposed to state. I feel like my essay is going to drag on. Someone please tell me what they did to get there ideas and paragraphs straight. Thank you (:
I thought The Scerlet Letter was really boring intell I got to Chapter 17 when Hester Prynne and Reverend Arther Dimmesdale are sitting down talking to each other under the tree.
i've found this book a challenge... the first few chapters were extrememly painful; but i feel like i can comprehend the story better now that i know more about Hester & Pearl.
I've just started this book and I'm a few chapters in, and so far it's really hard for me to follow, I have to keep looking up words in the dictionary to understand what's going on...is the whole book going to take this much effort to understand? Or is it just the first few chapters that are difficult?
Is hesters husband the guy that shows up with the indian, and even though Hester is in jail they still allow her to sew. Does she sew for anyone that comes and needs something or does she just do it for something to do, and if the people dislike her so much for committing adultry why do they allow her to sew?
I've don't really get this book I've already finished it but I didn't understand it. What exactly happened to Dimmesdale when he befriende Chillingsworth?
Nothing really happened to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth just started taking care of Reverend Dimmesdale after he found out that he was the father of Pearl and he was trying to destroy him.
I'm having the same problem too, Hannah... :S Which prompt are you doing? I'm doing prompt #3, so for each body paragraph I think I'm going to discuss different things that resulted from Dimmsdale's "outward conformity and inward questioning". My first paragraph will be about his struggle to choose the right path for his life. The second one will be about how the failure to do much about his sins led him to hurt himself and get a heart disease. The third one is probably going to talk about how his internal struggles lead to his death. This is all subject to change, but it's a rough idea of what I think I'm going to do. Hope this helped. :)
This book uses a lot of rich vocabulary. Its sort of difficult to comprehend, but I think once you really get going it becomes easier to understand. I'm actually starting to enjoy it.
Ahhh thank you Elyse. I am doin prompt 1 I think it is, where the death scene can tie the book together and give a theme as a whole. I'm still gathering my thoughts about what each paragraph is going to be about but I have an idea of taking little pieces of the speach that the Minister gave, I guess you could say, before his death and putting a theme together throught that. It's still a little rough but I think I can work it out. Thanks for the help! (:
Why would the people of the town make Pearl suffer with her mother in jail? Isn't that kind of cruel, and why wouldn't someone have the heart to offer to take the child from Hester so it didn't have to grow up in a prison cell?
Your essay idea is really good, Hannah! :D Happy to help. :)
Corey, I guess the townspeople thought that Pearl was as much at fault for the crime as Hester was. Even though she was really young, in their minds justice had to be served for all the guilty persons.
I have started to write my essay and I am attempting to do #3, can someone explain a little better what it means to outwardly conform, I don't want to write my essay and have the wrong idea.
thanks ocean i forgot to add that part. and yes vinigar would keep them in a kind of sick state where they had fevers and cold sweats and because they were sick they would turn a lighter color until eventually they got pale as pale can be.it was mostly for when they ran out of arsenic...
It was really surprising that Roger Chillingsworth left property to Pearl when he died. It seems so out of character for him to do something so nice. I wonder what made him do it?
Did Roger Chillingworth actually use black magic? I know in chapter 14 he was gathering herbs, and there was some self punishment involved, but was that all that caused what happened in chapter 23 & 24? also, did anyone besides Hester know that the physician studied and claimed to use magic? it seams to me that if you could and did use evil magic, you would have committed a worse sin than simply having a baby with someone you are not married to. I'm not puritan so I wouldn't know.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean Ocean, it seems like he had something to do with how the reverend died as soon as he confessed his sin.
ReplyDeleteOk, so I was just wondering back then wouldnt they have usually branded the letter into your skin when you did something like that. I just thought it was weird that all they made Hester do was wear the Scarlet Letter on her clothes.
ReplyDeleteIm only a couple of chapters into the book, but I was wondering if there was a specific person narrating the story? I wasn't for sure and in To Kill A Mockingbird it was Scout.
ReplyDeleteThe narrator isn't a specific person in the story itself. I read part of The Custom House in the beginning though, and I guess the narrator is Puritan and he supposedly "found" accounts of Hester Prynne's crime in an attic or something. The story is all fictional, though.
ReplyDeleteI'm only a few chapters into the book, but Hester is already about to be executed. Does that mean the rest of the book is just going to be like one big flashback? Because that would be odd for her to die so soon...there wouldn't be much of a story.
ReplyDeleteNope, this story takes place in real time, no flashbacks at all. Even though Hester is standing on a scaffold where there happens to be a guillotine, she isn't going to be executed. As part of her punishment, she's standing there for 3 hours in public view.
ReplyDeletePoor Reverend Dimmsdale... He really starts going crazy in Chapter 11... :( Do you think that if he did reveal his sin to the public, he'd be able to reverse the internal damage he has already done to himself? Personally, I think that its unlikely that his weird condition will ever go away.
ReplyDeleteI just started the book and I'm not that far into but I feel that the first chapter is unnecessary to include in the book. It reminds me of "To Kill A Mocking Bird". I didn't really need to read the first chapter. Maybe the more I read, I'll change my mind because right now I don't understand whats going on. :):)
ReplyDelete-----Caitee Aaron
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read the first chapter I thought of "To Kill A Mocking Bird", and yes it is hard to understand but the more you read the easier it is to understand!
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's much easier to read when you get to about chapter 6, the one all about Pearl. She is one crazy child to, i wonder if she really is an elf or something else like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm only on chapter 5, but I'm gonna go ahead and make a prediction thats probably wayyyy off. I bet Reverand Dimmsdale is the father of Hester's baby! That would be crazy, but its possible. On the back of the book it says that the people effected the most are Hester, her husband [Chillingsworth or somthing like that? Don't have the book with me.] and the Reverand...that means he has more to do with it than just being the town's minister, right? That would make the story a whole lot more interesting...What a scandal! :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, Pearl is a crazy child but I dont know how they could take her away from Hester. No one will talk to Hester, so Pearl is the only one she really has.
ReplyDeleteim only a couple chapters into the book and i was wondering if the rosebush was supposed to help her out through out the book, and if so how?
ReplyDeleteBased on the setting I can already see the darkeness leading into this story. It's an old town with a prison. Seems pretty creepy. I'm glad I didn't have to live during this time.
ReplyDelete-Jess :P
I think the first time you start to read this book it's kind've like the first time you read Shakespeare. At first you don't really understand everything you're reading, but after a couple of chapters you get used to the language and it becomes much more enjoyable to read.
ReplyDeleteWhy was Hester forced to wear the "Scarlet Letter"? Is there some thing I missed or have I not Read far enough yet...
ReplyDeleteI am starting the Scarlet Letter today. By reading the back cover and what people have told me about the book I think it is going to be a good book.
ReplyDeleteI just finished the first chapter of the Scarlet Letter. To me, just from the setting, it shows that even in the darkest places, there can be light. Maybe that stuck with me the most because I'm an optimist, but i like where this is going. it is definitely a little hard to understand, but i suggest reading it outloud to yourself. it helps :]
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteok, so i just finished the beginning of the scarlet letter and i can see this place thats right out of a horror movie and it seems always dreary and dark and foggy, and as i was reading i felt as if i was someone going into this prison and who sees these beautiful roses before walking into darkness for the rest of that persons life, i was surprised that i was feeling such sadness this early in the story and i hope that the rest of the book is just as interesting
ReplyDeleteZachary Martin,
ReplyDeleteShe was forced to wear the scarlet letter because she committed adultery and they wanted people to see the crime she committed and her to be punished for it, that was also why she was on the scaffold.
i'm at the part where the meteor shower creates a scarlet letter a in the sky to signify mr. dimmsdale's sin. i'm wonndering if this would ever actually happen?
ReplyDeleteI've actually found reading the book out loud to be helpful too, Hannah! xD I believe its because it helps you work through all the old English phrases. Its crazy how different they spoke back then. O_O
ReplyDeleteI agree Loni. The second I read that first chapter, I had serious vibes of hopelessness and dread. Believe me, its a truly gripping tale of human strength, you will REALLY enjoy it. :)
I havn't started but I think this book will be interesting and I can't wait to start. Does everybody else like it?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first blog... I am not too far into The Scarlet Letter just a few chapters but I need to blog this month. So here it goes...
ReplyDeleteIf Hester's child is only three months old, did Hester give birth in the prison? I think I am missing something becasue I am only a few chapters in...
Thanks
I believe Hester did give birth in prison. It never really specifies it, but it implies it.
ReplyDeleteElyse, why do you think she did give birth in prison? If so, is it important to the story do you think?
ReplyDeleteJordan- Once you get farther in the story, you'll see how this child is a sin for even existing. Hester had an affair. NOT a smart move for it being Puritan times and all.
ReplyDeletethe first chapter was really confusing.. but from what everyone is saying im thinking i'll get used to it and that it will be a really good book :D
ReplyDeleteJust started the book and it sounds realy interesting. Im a little confused but im sure ill catch on. The old English diolect i think is whats the most confusing but reading out loud seems to help a little as stated by a few people.
ReplyDeleteOn the literary terms worksheet, under the 'Relevance to Novel' column, are we supposed to write like who the protagonist is and what the theme or tone is and stuff??
ReplyDeleteIf anyone has finished the Scarlet Letter character worksheet please let me know who you put down because im coming up one short. So far i have
ReplyDelete*Hester
*Pearl
*Mr. Dimmesdale
*Roger Chillingworth
*Governor Bellingham
*Mistress Hibbins
*Reverend John Wilson
So i only need one more!
I didn't know we had to fill it out for all 8 character slots, do we?
ReplyDeleteI dont think we have to fill out all 8!
ReplyDeleteSomeone mentioned a guillotine; there was no guillotine on the scaffold, but it did refer to the French revolution and the beheading there. However there was a wooden frame used to hold the convicted person's head in place so that the crowd might see their face. Why I typed so much on this subject is beyond me, as Hester did not need to use it as part of her punishment.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing, what do you think would have happened if they had gotten on the ship? Could they have shaken Chillingworth off their trail after the ship landed? Would Pearl get used to Dimmesdale? She wasn't to happy with him for denying them in public.
ReplyDeleteI dont know if you have to fill in all 8 or not, thats what i was wondering. It just seems weird that they would put 8 slots if you didnt need 1.
ReplyDeletequestion about the end! (spoiler warning for anyone who hasn't finished yet. =D)
ReplyDeletehow exactly did mr. dimmesdale die?
did he kill himself or did whatever roger chillingworth was doing to him finally catch up to him? and if the latter, how exactly did he know he was going to die right at that moment?
i enjoyed the book, by the way. (:
also, where were they going at the end?
ReplyDeletei think it was hester who mentioned to pearl that they were going somewhere where their family (meaning herself, Pearl and Mr. Dimmesdale) could be free and no one would know about the scarlet letter. that's how i interpreted it, at least. if this had actually happened and mr. dimmesdale had survived, what do you think would happen in the novel? how do you think the ending would change? do you think hester would marry mr. dimmesdale and he would take a more active role in pearl's life? do you think pearl would be able to act normally in a new situation when she was so used to be excluded and seeing her mother wear the a?
I think that even if Dimmesdale had lived long enough to escape the town and Chillingworth he still would have tortured himself externally and internally. after all, he was a puritan reverend, and took his shame to the extreme. Crystal, I don't think that Dimmesdale actually knew he was going to die at that moment. If he did it was most likely that he just felt himself getting weaker and weaker and chose that moment to die, after he had confessed. Chillingsworth probably did not out right kill him, as he tried to stop him. Dimmesdale's death likely was caused by a build up of what he did to himself and what Chillingworth did to him.
ReplyDeleteBananagirl (I don't know your name) asked about branding the letter. For one thing, she would have had to cover it up with her clothing. where could they have marked her that she couldn't hide it? Puritans were appalled at the idea of showing too much skin; therefore the normal spot is out of the question. Hands? she couldn't ware gloves then. Forehead? no hat. With an embroidered letter she had to pin on her clothes, there was no excuse for hiding it, such as getting cold.
ReplyDeleteThanks for helping make some stuff clearer Ocean. :) I had questions regarding those topics, too! xD
ReplyDeleteFor anyone who's read Breaking Dawn, doesn't Renesmee remind you a lot of Pearl? They're both incredibly observant, smart, and they have a noticeable wild side. The Scarlet Letter probably influenced lots of other novels written after it. I wonder if my observation is merely coincidence or if Stephenie Meyer did base Renesmee after Pearl... :/
It's highly possible, The Scarlet Letter is a classic and a lot of authors must have read it. You cant write without knowing how to read after all. I wonder what or who inspired Hawthorne for Pearl; she has a lot of personality.
ReplyDeleteHappy 4th Everyone!!
I just thought of something; the gossip at the beginning of the book said that Hester's husband never came to (Boston??) and everyone believed him to be dead. If that were true (and we know it wasn't) than Hester would have been a widow; and incapable of committing adultery.
ReplyDeletethat is true, ocean.
ReplyDeletebut, she did become pregnant out of wedlock, which, in that community and at that time, was severly looked down upon.
they also said mr. dimmesdale commited adultry when he wasn't married, so maybe they just fit it all into one catagory.
I guess so... have you looked up the definition of adultery? In some places it is when one or both people are married, but not to each other. If Hester were a widow and the reverend single than it would have only been wedlock. Would the story have been all that different if she wore a W?
ReplyDeleteWeeeell, I don't know about you, but I don't think that a scarlet letter "W" would be as threatening. xD
ReplyDeleteIn regards to the whole "wedlock" thing, I think that since the death of Hester's husband was never confirmed or denied, they still considered it adultery.
I know Pearl is suppose to be someone else's kid, but she seems like she must be related to Chillingworth. They have the same sadistic nature...That would be an interesting twist..
ReplyDeleteI got the idea that Hester had been there a while without her husband. If she had just arrived in Boston they might have believed that she had gotten herself pregnant with Chillingworth, and left her alone. How did you make that connection?
ReplyDeleteokay, i'm only on chapter 4 (right after reverand dimmesdale murmurs his relief that Hester didn't say who the father was) and i have a couple of predictions. the one that seems most likely is that tortured reverand dimmesdale is Hester's baby's father, and that the familiar stranger is Hester's husband (obsessed and vengeful chillingworth?) i could be way off the mark, but from where i'm at it seems possible.
ReplyDeleteOn the character sheet, the only thing I can come up with for Bellingham and Wilson (the one word description) is "pompous". Does that sound OK? Can I use the same word for both?
ReplyDeleteI never really thought about it that way, Kim, but you're absolutely right about Pearl being like Chillingworth! She doesn't have a lot in common with her actual father...
ReplyDeleteBellingham is VERY pompous, however, the same really can't be said for Reverend Wilson. I'm actually debating between "Grandfatherly" and "Traditionalist" for describing Reverend Wilson.
I was wondering if reading the first 45 pages was informational because at certain parts of the story I kind of feel lost.
ReplyDeleteI read the Custom House chapter, but it didn't really help with my understanding of Hester Prynne's story. It just gives you a bit of background as to how the author decided to write the story.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I was working on the literary terms' definitions and I can't figure out allusion or symbplism. Did anyone get those?
ReplyDeleteAllusion is when the story refers to something real, say the characters went to Kroger and bought Tide laundry soap and talked about Bush. Those are all real life things. Hester doesn't even know what Kroger is, but there are a lot of allusions in The Scarlet Letter.
ReplyDeleteActually, an allusion is a reference to another novel. For example, the Bible is mentioned a LOT throughout the story. Symbolism is when an object represents an idea (the scarlet letter, the rose bush at the beginning...)
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if I just wasn't paying much attention when I was reading, but do they ever describe the appearance of Wilson and Bellingham? If so, where? Because I can't find it. :(
ReplyDeleteElyse, are you sure? I still think an allusion is anything outside the story, but other stories can be included. Don't trust me though. Where is the symbolism in the rose bush?
ReplyDeleteKim, they give a few details in chapter 8, when Hester is asking to keep Pearl.
For the essay, are we writing a 5 paragraph similar to the R&J we did last year? The sample looked like a different format.
Ocean and Elyse you are both correct. An allusion is a reference to something outside of the work. It is most commonly a reference to another book or story, but it can also reference something political or related to pop culture.
ReplyDeleteOcean-your essay can be a standard 5 paragraph essay or you can expand it to have multiple body paragraphs
ReplyDeletei still have no idea for the last character so if anyone comes up with it please let me know.
ReplyDeletealso what prompts are you guys doing, i still need to decide!
For the last character I just put towns people; you cant put anything down for appearance but they all act in a similar fashion towards Hester, Pearl, Dimmesdale, and Chillingworth. Thank you Mrs. Werner.
ReplyDeletePrompt #4 made the most sense to me. #'s 1&2 I can't picture myself writing a whole essay on, and I had trouble understanding #3. It seams to me that most of the story is about Chillingworth harassing Dimmesdale, so I will base my essay on that.
ReplyDeleteBellingham and Wilson are both described really well in chapter 3 and 8, Kim.
ReplyDeleteThe rose bush symbolizes human nature and legacy and how they both continue on, I believe... Not 100% sure though.
Thanks for your help, Mrs. Werner! I'm having a bit of trouble with the characterization part of the organization table. I'm leaning toward putting that the characters where most revealed trough direct characterization, but... :/
You could perhaps put the narrator as a character, Katelin.
I'm doing prompt number three. I gather that you have to discuss Dimmsdale's "double life" and how he deals with his guilt. If you Google search the quote that the prompt is based of, it explains how the quote was relevant to The Awakening. Once you read its relevance, you'll get a better idea of its meaning in The Scarlet Letter.
I'm definitely new to the entire symbolism concept, and I was wondering if the scarlet "A" symbolizes disgrace. Since Hester is forced to wear it as a constant reminder of the sin she committed, I thought the letter would have to be a negative symbol. She's supposed to be ashamed of what she's done, and the letter guarantees public humiliation. Hester is an outcast because of it. So I think it represents shame and disgrace...
ReplyDeleteor do I have it all wrong?
Does the "A" stand for adultery? If so, say you committed another crime would that letter go on your chest?
ReplyDeleteYeah, it stands for adultress.
ReplyDeleteDoes the fact that it's scarlet mean anything? I was thinking it might represent love and lust, both of which are components of her sin, but I'm not sure if I'm going overboard with all the symbolism. I don't believe that it's only red so that it stands out.
I think the scarlet letter A would just be for Hester's adultery, Danielle. Since the town leaders decided to keep her around as an example (and not execute her), they invented the scarlet letter concept to publicly humiliate her.
ReplyDeleteYup, you have the symbolism concept right, Erica. :)
Thanks Elyse,
ReplyDeletei was thinking about doing prompt 3 for the same reason but i wasn't to sure.
I just got the book scarlet letter and finished it about three days after getting it. I felt that the punishment wouldnt really work in the present date. I just dont think that that would be a good enough punishment.
ReplyDeleteI think i'm gonna use the town people, thanks Ocean. I think for appearance i can put puritan clothing so it's all good!
ReplyDeleteI think having this kind of punishment would work to an extent. A little while ago a boy was caught stealing, so his mom made him stand on a street corner with a board saying he was a thief. If i had to do something like that i would be pretty embarrassed.
Wow, it's weird how much times have changed comparing this book to modern day. Adultry was a crime back in those times and was taken very seriously. Now it happens all the time and most people don't even see it as much of a sin.
ReplyDeleteI am not that far into the book, but wow Jess you are right. Things like what Hester did happen all the time now a days, most people overlook it like nothing.
ReplyDeleteWho has done prompts 3 or 4? ive narrowed it down to those 2 but i cant decide which one to do
ReplyDeleteAlex, just choose what you can write the most on. This isn't a scantron, its personal opinion.
ReplyDeleteIn some places adultery still is a crime, mostly only illegal for women. What culture you are in determines how serious the punishment is. I can't imagine the letter being that effective here and now. you could discard it as soon as you got home, and the authorities would have no way of being sure that you still had it on. and of course there are a few people incapable of feeling shame. Ever notice those classmates that just don't care that they have a E because they never turned in a single homework assignment and make no move to avoid summer school until it's to late?
I am 3 chapters into the book and i have no clue as to what i am reading. Can someone help me understand?
ReplyDeleteI heard about that boy too, Katelin. I think that while it may have taught him a good lesson, standing on the street and announcing you're a thief is not quite right for today's crime and punishment. :/ Like Ocean was saying, some people just don't feel any shame.
ReplyDeleteIn the first chapter, it describes the prison where Hester is. The next two chapters talk more about Hester's crime, the scarlet letter, her child, the town leaders, and her husband. The beginning is a little hard to understand, but it'll get better, Corey. :)
Hello!
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking. Wearing the Scarlet Letter was suppossed to be a punishment, but Hester made the letter into something elaborate and you could go as far to call it beautiful. Doesn't it seem a little flashy to be a punishment?
Also, it seems that with or without the letter, Hester would have been treated the same way. It seems that in the end the symbolic letter isn't as effective as a punishment as the public humiliation and the sort of exile from society, as well as living day to day with Pearl, who is the greatest and most permanent reminder of her sin. I think as far as plot wise...the letter is only used as a symbolic object to draw the reader in as oppossed to something that directly effects story movement. Then again, I'm not THAT far into the book, so it will be interesting to see if this changes.
I also doubt the punishment would be effective nowadays because to be honest, adultery is so common nowadays, that it isn't as scandalous as it was back in those Puritan communities. Also, before you knew it Letter A's would become the next strange fashion statement because so many people would be forced to wear them if let's say it became some common punishment under law or something. The punishment would most likely lose its meaning fast.
0_0 I write the lonest comments. ^^; Sorry bout that. lol
ReplyDeleteRachel, I agree with what you said about if the letter were today's punishment. Letters would only get a few glances once in a while and not the glares that Hester had. Like boys that dress like girls and girls that dress like boys. Most people don't even notice, or they think they are who they dress as, or they don't care.
ReplyDeleteDid Roger Chillingworth know the whole time that Reverend Dimmesdale is Pearl's father?
ReplyDeletei just finished the beginning of scarlet letter and i agree with the many people who have said that the beginnning was unneccessary.
ReplyDeleteim trying to finish the character chart but i cant really find an eight character, what did you guys put?
ReplyDeleteHannah, I don't think that Chillingworth knew in the beginning that Dimmesdale was the father, he was just planning what to do when he met the man. Somehow he figured out who before chapter 9. He does say in chapter 8 "Would it be beyond a philosophers research, think ye, gentlemen, to analyze that child's nature, and, from its make and mould, to give a shrewd guess at the father?" Wilson tells him that it would be sinful and a waste of time, that God will tell them if He wishes them to know. If thats really how he found out or not I don't know, but we all know that Chillingworth is not agents sinning as long as he is not the one wronged.
ReplyDeleteAlex, if you read our comments above, many of us have chosen to write town people or narrator as the 8th person.
After reading a few chapters of this book it shows me how times have changed. Yes, cheating is stilled frowned upon but not as it was back then. Looking at Hester, you are immediately aware that she was not faithful to her husband. But now if you walk by someone you can't tell if they are a faithful person or not. I just think it's odd how drastically society has changed.
ReplyDeleteyea it is odd, but i think its changed for the better, could you imagine living in puritan times?
ReplyDeleteIs there supposed to be a certin Character in The Scarlet Letter that is telling the story?
ReplyDeleteI don't think there is a specific person telling the story, like there is no narrator. I think it's just some person that was alive in Puritan times
ReplyDeleteNone of the characters are telling the story, Katherine, just Hawthorne. Yes, I have to agree, lots of things have changed for the better. But think of the crime rate. Back then they got riled over adultery. Today someone could kill 20 people without blinking. Nobody worried about parking lots at night and they were more afraid of meeting Chief Pontiac than being run over by the metal kind.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think of Mistress Hibbins? She doesn't have much of a part in the story, does she? I have to wonder why Hawthorne wrote a crazy lady in when all she does is bother Hester about her letter. She doesn't effect the story any and it seems like a waste of time to add her in. Hah, at this rate we will have a 100 posts before august.
ReplyDeleteSociety has changed a lot since the 17th century... Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to live in a Puritan community. Crimes that we don't really worry about nowadays were death sentences back then. While there probably wasn't a lot of homicidal maniacs to worry about back then, you would be in constant fear of someone making an accusation about you that would lead you to the gallows.
ReplyDeleteMistress Hibbins represents the hidden darker side of the Puritan community. While everyone in the town is ratting her out for being a witch, they themselves are hiding their own sins. She is a symbol of the hypocrisy of the townspeople. This is mentioned in the book, but I can't remember where...
Ohhhh. Thats interesting, I would have never thought of that. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteAbout how harsh puritan law was. We have to keep in mind that they used the Bible and not our constitution. There are a lot of things that are immoral and not illegal. Divorce for one (not to rat on my parents). Breaking up after swearing vows together isn't the most holy thing to do, but the government doesn't mind because it prevents murder. Plus people would see it as them steeling our rights, and they would lose favor. The puritans were different; if the Bible said it was bad, you can go hang on a rope.
ReplyDeleteIm only a few chapters in the Scarlet Letter but I think Hester is a pretty strong and brave lady. She stands up in front of everyone (well i know she doesnt have a choice but stil) wearing the scarlet letter and immediately look at a person who no longer is apart of their socity and thought of as terrible human and also they have no sympathy for her poor little baby who is innocent in the whole situation. Through this she just stay strong and doens't let them get to her, and also how she wont tell the name of the babys father either. this also pointed out for me how differnt it was during the puritans time compared to now. If someone was to be unfaithful now they would just be frowned upon, not force to stand infront of their society with a marking like the scarlet letter all day and be disowned by the whole socity. And also she seems to not be forgiven by anyone either, now people would be disapointed in the unaithful person at first but they would forgive them later because they are just human and humans make mistakes.
ReplyDeleteHeres for all of the people who were trying to figure out what appearances to put for the townsfolk.
ReplyDelete1 They all have very pale skin.(back then people would actually drink vinigar to make them even more pale.)
2. They all wore their best clothes.
Thats all that i have so far on their outfits.
Your right Ocean, the Bible was the central form of government back then. It still plays a big part in our modern legal system, though. Think about it, our Pledge of Allegiance, the vow you have to take before you speak in court, our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution all have references to God. While the Bible may not be as prevalent while enforcing laws, it still remains to be a factor in the choices made by our nation's leaders.
ReplyDeleteKyle, are you sure they drank vinegar? I've never heard of that... It couldn't have possibly been healthy... :/ You could always put that the towns people had "traditional Puritan clothing".
How exactly is characterization relevant to The Scarlet letter? Its on the Lit. Term chart and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
Yay! Post number 100! :D
I think I figured this characterization thing out. :) Hawthorne usually reveals traits of characters through metaphors, right?
ReplyDeleteKyle, people then thought that being pale was stylish then. I never heard of them drinking vinegar but I have heard of ladies drinking small drops of arsenic to keep them pale. They thought that having a tan meant that you were a worker and not established. So even if they never drank anything to lighten their skin color, they still would have tried to avoid the sun as much as possible. No sunning themselves at the beach or in tanning booths. Still, weren't they all farmers?
ReplyDeleteKim, Hester is very strong. it's so sad how all the towns people are rude to her even when she is helping them with food or clothing
ReplyDeleteHey Elyse! I wanted post 100! This blog is so much more interesting than the In Cold Blood one. I put in post 20 forever ago and nobody has responded.
Arsenic to be pale?! Woah, talk about the complete opposite of today's society! xD Nowadays being super tan is in!
ReplyDeleteSorry Ocean. :_( You could always shoot for 111. :S (off topic, sorry... ^^)
I would start posting on the There Are No Children Here blog, but I'm only one chapter in. O_O I'm going to have to do something about that, and soon! It seems like most people are reading In Cold Blood. I read the first few chapters of In Cold Blood and it wasn't that engaging.That's my opinion, but...
I was only kidding Elyse. I liked In Cold Blood, which is surprising because that is something I normally wouldn't read.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing you could put for town people on the chart; Hester's embroidery. It said in chapter 5 that the only garment that she was not asked to embroider was the veil for a bride. Of course real puritans wouldn't have known Hester, but we are talking about the ones in the story.
Irrelevant post, but aren't we supposed to have 8 comments each. Averaged out we have about 2.5 posts each. And I've had over 20 posts on this page alone.
ReplyDeleteThis book is good so far, but im having a hard time reading it, i think because of the vocab, is anyone else having that problem too? Does anyone have tips or advice?
ReplyDeleteDo you realize how many people would be in prison, if they gave jail time for affairs. I love how people don't make it a big deal anymore.
ReplyDeleteYeah the vocabulary is driving me crazy. I think the book is okay, but it seems like they just throw in a lot of big words where they really dont need to.
ReplyDeletei just started this book and it hasnt quite caught my attention yet. I dont understand whats going on, so i plan on figuring it out.
ReplyDeleteIf Bellingham had given her the normal punishment, Hester would be dead. They were planing that for her lover, but to put it simply, he died before hand. That's why she refused to tell on him. Affairs are still a bad thing, but with a growing number of atheist, using the Bible as a code of law isn't a good idea.
ReplyDeleteFor anyone who is having a hard time figuring out what's happening in the book, I found that reading out loud and writing down key parts in the story helped me to understand it better. I know I got annoyed with the author for his 3 or 4 page monologs that seemed to have nothing to do with the story at all. I usually just skimmed over those parts. The first few chapters are rather dull, but as you read on, the plot and characters become clearer.
ReplyDeletePearl seams kind of cruel to Hester as far as the scarlet letter is concerned. Do you think she realizes how much she hurts her mother when she plays with it? Sometimes she seams innocent and doesn't seam to understand it at all, other times she seams to have a fairly good idea about what is going on.
ReplyDeleteIrrelevant to the story, but, Mrs. Werner, I can't sign in as a follower.
ReplyDeleteI am understanding this book more and more everyday as I read, but I still dont quite understand why Hester can not say the name of the man she loved?
ReplyDeleteHannah, If she did, they would hang him. Hester only got a letter because they wanted a living example of someone who has committed adultery. After her, the penalty returns to capital punishment. Pleasant, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWow thank you Ocean. So the letter stands for adultery which they want her to be known as.
ReplyDeleteDoes Pearl fall under all this punishment too because of her mom?
Ocean, while Pearl is intelligent beyond her years, I really don't think she understands how much she hurts her mother when she plays with the scarlet letter. She's still a young girl. Its like trying to explain death to a second grader; she can't fully grasp the concept of the it.
ReplyDeleteHannah, Pearl does get shunned as well, since she is like a "living" scarlet letter to her mother's crime.
Ocean-not sure what you mean?
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be able to post comments so let me know what is going on (:
Hannah, Elyse, we can also say that Pearl was shunned just for being who she was. Wild isn't how you might describe a typical puritan child. The towns people treated their children very strictly, where Hester let Pearl play more freely. Therefor, Pearl acted more like a child of today, and that scared the town's people. They thought she was a demon, fairy, a young witch... anything mystical would explain Pearl's nature. The stories also were part of the lesson to the town's people about what happens when you commit adultery; you create wicked children. Silly, but thats probably what they were thinking.
ReplyDeleteThanks girls!
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the help and understanding!
I didn't understand the book until I really took the time to understand the symbolism. The author in this piece tends to lean toward using physical objects to explain spiritual or emotional morals, values, and internal conflicts, some being aside from the main plot. If you're having a hard time understanding it, I would use an aid such as a chapter anaylasis to explain symbolism, however don't replace reading with this, or you'll be in deep trouble.
ReplyDeleteWhat does Hester's epitaph mean?
ReplyDeleteNo problem, Hannah. :D Happy to help!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean, Blake. The symbolism tends to explain everything going on. For example, when the scaffold is mentioned, you can assume a character will be revealing or coming to terms with their sins. It seems to me that in place of foreshadowing, Hawthorne uses symbolism to reveal the fates of those involved in the story. Did anyone else notice that?
Ocean, an epitaph is a phrase or statement written in memory of a person who has died, and it can usually be found on a tombstone.
Elyse I know what an epitaph is, I just don't understand Hester's.
ReplyDeleteElyse...to say that a child is a sin for the unfortunate decisions of the mother in my opinion makes it sound like the child is at fault, but i wanna know what you think?
ReplyDeleteMrs.Werner, can a allusion be a reference to something someone has said like in a speech or like views of different groups of people?
ReplyDeleteI didn't understand her epitaph is either, Ocean. :S It was odd..
ReplyDeleteIt is certainly a complicated thing, isn't it Jordan? I personally think that in this particular situation, the father, Reverend Dimmesdale, is the one with the most fault. By hiding his affair, he made the lives of Hester and Pearl a heck of a lot harder than if he had just revealed his sins.
I liked how hester named her daughter pearl, I liked that the name had meaning behinded and ment something to hester and that she named her that because she saw a pearl as a great tresure and also saw her daughter as one too. I just thought that was kinda cool.
ReplyDeleteThis is kinda of off topic but should you reread The Scarlet Letter for the test or will the questions just be General knowledge...
ReplyDeletei dont think its fair that Pearl is being punished for who her mom is... it just doesn't seem right
ReplyDeleteZachary-I don't think you need to reread the book before the test. You may want to jot down some notes to review if you have finished reading so that you can look them over before school starts. The test is an objective test-it is purely to show if you read or not. (:
ReplyDeleteI'm not extremely far into the book, but I'm having trouble really getting into it. Since I can get into it I'm having trouble understanding. Is there something I can do to make it more interesting for myself or does it get more exciting as you read on?
ReplyDeleteThanks
Kyla :)
It will get more interesting as you read and you'll probably understand it more as you go on. I think it helps a little to look up the words in the back that have stars next to them. Obviously some of it is just worthless information, but some of it makes the book a whole lot clearer.
ReplyDeletei'm on chapter 16 in the book, & maybe this is irrelevant, but does Hester love Dimmesdale? or did she when she had the affair? i would think she does, because she cares about him & his health, but she never really shows it.
ReplyDelete& is there a reason why they never talk about Pearl being their daughter? or the affair? it seems like it would be something they should talk about...
i don't know if this makes much sense, haha. i'm just wondering. :P
i didn't make any posts till today cause i was at sister softball tournament (got entire book down while there so i guess it was worth it.) and i believe she loves dimmesdale, i wont tell you why because later on you'll find out and i don't want to ruin the story for you :P
ReplyDeleteWho exactly is Roger Chillingworth?
ReplyDeleteRoger Chillingworth was Hester's husband. I guess he was embarrassed that Hester had an affair so he changed his name.
ReplyDeleteOhhh I see. Thanks Shelby (:
ReplyDeleteWhen we are filling out the character sheet what exactly does appearance mean? Is it physical appearance?
ReplyDeleteWhen Dimmesdale is talking to Hester in the woods about Chillingworth(chap. 18 or 19), he says that he has been in pain the past few years and gets upset with Hester. Was Chillingworth poisoning or doing things to put him in pain?
ReplyDeleteYup, you just write down what the characters look like, Hannah. The main characters are described in the second chapter, I believe. Some of the secondary characters, like the governor and Reverend Wilson, are described in chapter 8.
ReplyDeleteDanielle, while it never actually says Chillingworth poisoned or hurt Dimmesdale, it is implied that Chillingworth used "black magic" on him.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the help I have been getting! Thanks guys (:
ReplyDeletei like the scarlet letter but is it like a narrator like in TKAM?
ReplyDeletedid chillingworth use black magic on dimmesdale?
ReplyDeleteThanks Shelby!!! I shall read on then. hehe. I will definetly use those stars then.
ReplyDeletethe scarlet letter is in 3rd person. I don't think that chillingworth actually did use black magic i believe he just used herbs
ReplyDeletehey i'm only on like chapter 6 of the scarlet letter, but i'm glad i am sticking with it. it picked up almost immediately in chapter 3. 1 and 2 made almost no sense to me, and i think the book would make so much more sense if it wasnt in the old english...
ReplyDeletei agree that the book is in third person, because of all the hes and shes used.
ReplyDeletethere is no "i", so it can't be first.
i agree with the first comment that ocean made. dark magic seems wayyy worse to me than having a baby outside of marriage.
ReplyDeleteI just started reading this book and the old English literature is kind of confusing, but the more i read the easier it is. After reading chapters 1 and 2, I'm wondering what did Hester do. It will pobably say later on, but what is the rest of the book supposed to be about?
ReplyDeletethe book is about Hester's life after being 'branded' with the scarlet A which was her punishment for cheating on her husband. the first few chapters are hard to get into but after that it gets way easier to understand so just hang in their :P
ReplyDeleteI think that Reverend Dimmesdale is going to end up standing on the scaffold with Hester Prynne and Pearl. He knows that he needs to confess his sin. How could he just sit there and watch his child and Hester be put to shame? If he doesn't confess, maybe Pearl will do it for him. She seems so upset about him refusing to stand with them that she might do something crazy.
ReplyDeleteThis book is really hard to comprehend. It's taken me a while to get to the point I am at, but I predict that Hester Prynne and Reverend Dimmesdale wont end up getting away from the city together
ReplyDeleteI've been attempting to read it and it seems easy enough to understand. Hopefully it will get a tad bit better as it goes on.
ReplyDeleteohhhhh okay thank you joel!
ReplyDeleteFor the people who are just starting the book:
ReplyDeleteYes, the book is hard to understand at first. It gets better, just keep reading. Please don't post your confusion, everyone else already has. I don't mean to be rude, but if you read some of our comments from earlier than you will learn all you need. The first chapter is a bit worthless, but it describes the prison where Hester is being held for committing adultery. After that she is taken to a scaffold where she stands for three hours as her punishment requires. As she is standing there her husband, who has been gone a long time, arrives in Boston for the first time. Finding his wife disloyal, he changes his name to hide from the shame of being cheated. Roger Chillingworth, as he is now called, swears to Hester that he will destroy her lover. After that it becomes much easier to understand. some of us have found that reading out loud helps. Good luck and I'm sorry that I'm being so mean.
I don't understand why Hester was sworn to secrecy by Chillingworth about his identity. Can someone please help?
ReplyDeletechillingworth didn't want anyone to know that he was Hester's husband so he made her swear to keep it a secret
ReplyDeletethis goes with last one, forgot to say to hide the shame pretty much
ReplyDeleteDo we have to make citations in our essay? And make a "works cited" list? Because I have no idea how to do that and would rather not if I don't have to :)
ReplyDeleteYou do not to create a works cited page, but you do need to use parenthetical references in your essay if you use any direct quotes.
ReplyDeleteWhen you use a quote in your essay you would end the sentence with the author's last name and the page # the quote is from and then place your endmark. Ex. (Werner 14).
I think this is a great feminist novel. Nathaniel Hawthorne made Hester a strong, independent woman (at least in the beginning, I haven't finised the book yet). She was ashamed of what she did, but she didn't retort to rude comments that people threw at her in the street. She was a complete outcast-- even the poor looked down on her-- but she went on living her life. Though she was free to go wherever she wanted and start over, she carried out her punishment on the outskirts of town. She's still a great mother and a very talented seamstress. I like that Hester embroidered her 'A' with gold thread. She doesn't try to hide it, instead she embellishes it and makes it beautiful. Not that I'm an extreme feminist or anything, I just like that Hester is so independent and proud.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you Erica, but do you think that Hawthorn meant to write her that way? It was first published in 1850, and Hawthorn is a male... I can't imagine him setting out to make a feminist novel.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYes I do believe that Hawthorne set out to write the novel in a way that would portray Hester as a strong female heroine. Many authors try to create something in a very forward-thinking manner, and often are non-conforming to society's hypocrisies of the time. I believe that the blaring symbolism present throughout the novel supports my hypothesis and I think Hawthorne was trying to convey a strong message about society's beliefs of the time period.
ReplyDeleteSo i just finshed this book and i definitely understand it a lot more then i would have thought after reading the first few chapters. I agree with Erica in her opinion that Hawthorne wrote Hester to be a strong, independant woman and i think that is one of the best parts about this novel. even though I comprehended this book, I'm still not very clear on the theme/moral. some help please...? :]
ReplyDeleteI'm now on chapter 12 of The Scarlet Letter and chapters 10 to 11 went by in a blur when is something exciting going to happen?
ReplyDeleteOkay so I am almost done with this book. I need some help clearing up my thoughts though. So Hester cheated on Chillingworth with Arthur? Or is it the other way around?
ReplyDeleteYes Hannah, you have it right, Chillingworth was Hester's husband but she had an affair with Arthur Dimmesdale.
ReplyDeleteI think Dimmesdale should've told everyone that he was the one who had the affair with Hester Prynne
ReplyDeleteI finished this book months ago, but I'd have to say it was one of the best books I've read in a while! :D Do any of you feel the same way?
ReplyDeleteI was confused about something in the MLA example essay. In our essays, are we required to put some attention getting fact at the beginning of our introductory paragraph, or is that more of a example of what could possibly be at the beginning? :/
Mrs. Werner- Alright, Thanks for the Info. -_0
ReplyDeleteOkay so I am now starting my essay, but I need a little help. I have picked my prompt and have my ideas down but I'm not sure on what each paragraph is supposed to state. I feel like my essay is going to drag on. Someone please tell me what they did to get there ideas and paragraphs straight. Thank you (:
ReplyDeleteI thought The Scerlet Letter was really boring intell I got to Chapter 17 when Hester Prynne and Reverend Arther Dimmesdale are sitting down talking to each other under the tree.
ReplyDeleteI am going to get back to reading the book because I want to find out what happens next.
ReplyDeleteThe Scarlet Letter in getting to be a very interesting and great book
ReplyDeletei've found this book a challenge... the first few chapters were extrememly painful; but i feel like i can comprehend the story better now that i know more about Hester & Pearl.
ReplyDeleteI've just started this book and I'm a few chapters in, and so far it's really hard for me to follow, I have to keep looking up words in the dictionary to understand what's going on...is the whole book going to take this much effort to understand? Or is it just the first few chapters that are difficult?
ReplyDeleteI just got done reading The Scarlet Letter. It was a really good book
ReplyDeleteAnica, the first few chapters are tricky, the rest of the book makes more sense. Try reading the book out loud, it'll help. :)
ReplyDeleteWill someone please respond to my comment! I'm super stuck :\
ReplyDeleteIs hesters husband the guy that shows up with the indian, and even though Hester is in jail they still allow her to sew. Does she sew for anyone that comes and needs something or does she just do it for something to do, and if the people dislike her so much for committing adultry why do they allow her to sew?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've don't really get this book I've already finished it but I didn't understand it. What exactly happened to Dimmesdale when he befriende Chillingsworth?
ReplyDeleteNothing really happened to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth just started taking care of Reverend Dimmesdale after he found out that he was the father of Pearl and he was trying to destroy him.
ReplyDeleteI'm having the same problem too, Hannah... :S Which prompt are you doing? I'm doing prompt #3, so for each body paragraph I think I'm going to discuss different things that resulted from Dimmsdale's "outward conformity and inward questioning". My first paragraph will be about his struggle to choose the right path for his life. The second one will be about how the failure to do much about his sins led him to hurt himself and get a heart disease. The third one is probably going to talk about how his internal struggles lead to his death. This is all subject to change, but it's a rough idea of what I think I'm going to do. Hope this helped. :)
ReplyDeleteThis book uses a lot of rich vocabulary. Its sort of difficult to comprehend, but I think once you really get going it becomes easier to understand. I'm actually starting to enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteAhhh thank you Elyse. I am doin prompt 1 I think it is, where the death scene can tie the book together and give a theme as a whole. I'm still gathering my thoughts about what each paragraph is going to be about but I have an idea of taking little pieces of the speach that the Minister gave, I guess you could say, before his death and putting a theme together throught that. It's still a little rough but I think I can work it out. Thanks for the help! (:
ReplyDeleteWhy would the people of the town make Pearl suffer with her mother in jail? Isn't that kind of cruel, and why wouldn't someone have the heart to offer to take the child from Hester so it didn't have to grow up in a prison cell?
ReplyDeleteYour essay idea is really good, Hannah! :D Happy to help. :)
ReplyDeleteCorey, I guess the townspeople thought that Pearl was as much at fault for the crime as Hester was. Even though she was really young, in their minds justice had to be served for all the guilty persons.
I have started to write my essay and I am attempting to do #3, can someone explain a little better what it means to outwardly conform, I don't want to write my essay and have the wrong idea.
ReplyDeleteHow long was Hester Prynne in jail for? And since she had a three month old baby does that mean she had the baby while she was in jail?
ReplyDeleteI don't remember if it said how long but yes she did have the baby in jail
ReplyDeletethanks ocean i forgot to add that part. and yes vinigar would keep them in a kind of sick state where they had fevers and cold sweats and because they were sick they would turn a lighter color until eventually they got pale as pale can be.it was mostly for when they ran out of arsenic...
ReplyDeleteIt was really surprising that Roger Chillingsworth left property to Pearl when he died. It seems so out of character for him to do something so nice. I wonder what made him do it?
ReplyDeleteDoes anyone know that besides going to jail and getting the scarlett letter, was that Hester's only punishment for her crime?
ReplyDeleteWhy did Roger Chillingworth and Mr. Dimmesdale move in with each other? Was Roger going to take Mr. Dimmesdale's place as the minister or what?
ReplyDeleteAt the end of chapter 10 and the beginning of chapter 11, what did Chillingworth see on Mr. Dimmesdales chest? I can't figure out what.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete