Thursday, July 23, 2009

Are you reading any other books?

If you are reading any other books, besides our summer reading, that you think would be worthwhile to share-please share the info here.

21 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I read this book in two days-could not put it down (: The novel is narrated by a 90-year old man and he jumps back and forth from his current time to when he was a young man and working for a circus. If you like historical fiction with a little romance thrown in-this is a book for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a bargain book store just off of Baldwin (by great lakes crossing). It is kind of simple and it's hard to find your way around because all the books are on flat tables and there are no signs, but it's not bad. Borders is getting on my nerves. It is more like a vampire freak depot than a book store. I would rather get something to read than a bella action figure. What a waste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Borders does seem to be more focused on everything other than books. It used to be one of my favorite places, but I have been using Amazon and the public library a lot more lately. Thanks for the tip on the book store-I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look into that book, Mrs. Werner, it sounds good! :)

    I know what you mean Ocean. I like Twilight, but I'm getting SO sick of it being shoved down my throat every time I'm browsing Borders! Everywhere you look its Twilight and books that have plots nearly identical to Twilight. Seriously, I wish they'd give it a rest. Plus, HATE how they rearranged the store by Great Lakes Crossing, now you can't find anything! I've been enjoying Barns and Noble much more lately. You can escape the crazed teen fanpires there. xD

    I read this book a while ago, but I highly recommend Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. It's a interesting twist on heaven and the afterlife. I couldn't put it down! I suppose its kind of like The Lovely Bones, though I've never read that particular book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are making The Lovely Bones into a movie-if you haven't read it yet-do it (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I read that book! It was great! Makes you wonder about what you would do in a situation like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Vampire Academy series, and no it is nothing like Twilight or even has a Twilight related plot. In fact the Vampires aren't even called vampires! But they're really amazing and the 4th book is coming out on August 25th.
    Another book i liked a lot is called Two-Way Street, but i can't think of the author. It's a good romance book but nothing to eventful happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really have to recommend my all time favorite book. it is called Earthchild by Doris Piserchia.It's about a girl in the very far future who ends up having her mom taken away form her by Martians(ex-earth dwellers who moved to mars because earth is now uninhabitable). now she has to survive with the help of an elemental called emeroo. i have a very torn and tattered copy of this book, my friend has it right now but if you cant find it and are interested i can lend it to you. well, as long as you take great care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to mention my new all time favorite series The Darkest Powers Series by Kelley Armstrong. The first book is called The Summoning and the second is called The Awakening. This book is filled with half-demons, necromancers, werewolves, and wizards. But if you don't think you can handle reading about spirits being shoved into their decomposing bodies that it is pretty well described these probably aren't the books for you. Anyways they are great suspense books that has every day teen drama added into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a little before school ended, i finished reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. i have to say this is one of my favorite books, & the best i've read in a veeeery long time. (:
    it follows an architect, who keeps his individuality in a competitive occupation, no matter what the consequences in it. the characters are extremely well-developed, & it excellently covers topics like individualism & human nature. i definitely suggest it :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read a book called In The Hall Of The Dragon King. It is fantasy, but don't let the name mislead you; there is no real dragon. Not a book I would recommend for an atheist, but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Elyse, where is the closest barns and noble? The only one I know of is in Wixim and that is just a little to far away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read all five hitchhikers guide to the galaxy books again. You all should read them. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ocean, there's a Barns and Noble in West Bloomfield on Orchard Lake Road. It's a tiny bit more than 10 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cirque Du Freak series is one of my favorites, there's always an unexpected thrill in almost every page. By the way the papers we got on this class say we have to post one of these comments each month, what does that mean, and will it effect our grade if we only post stuff for two different months?

    ReplyDelete
  16. i actually read jane eyre. i really like janes independent kinda way of life, and she was strong in what she believed. wasnt thrilled about mr. rochester at first but he grew on me cuz he really cared about her. also loved how she never let him win and stood her ground. it was kinda a twisted book, but very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I finished The Time Traveler's Wife last month, and it was the best book I've read in a long time. The storyline is so cute and it gets pretty intense. I haven't seen the movie yet, and i've been freaking out, hoping I could find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i finished reading the Princess Bride a bit ago. a lot different than the movie, & some of the best fiction i've read in a long time. its really funny, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, not saying I'm a huge zombie buff sort of person, though I may sort of imply it, I really liked The Zombie Survival Guide. I mean, it's the most useful thing I've ever read for such a hypothetical situation. It makes you chuckle, but kind of deludes you to believe this is real history he speaks of. It's very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another great book is Rules. I got it a while ago at a book sale because I needed somthing to read and it turned out to be really good! you should check it out :D

    ReplyDelete